As we have reached more than 5M installations, ARCHOS is happy and proud to let you know that we have just released an open-source community free edition of our video player Android application https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.archos.mediacenter.videofree
- Play everything
- Play videos from your computer / server / NAS (SMB, UPnP, FTP, SFTP)
- Play videos from external USB storage
- Videos from all sources seamlessly integrated in a unified collection
- Automatic online retrieval of Movie and TV show descriptions with poster and backdrop
- Integrated subtitle download
- Torrent streaming (previously downloaded .torrent files can directly be opened by the application ; note that no torrent search engine is included in the application)
- Best Player
- Hardware accelerated video decoding for most devices and video formats;
- Multi-audio track and multi-subtitles support
- Supported file formats: MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, etc.
- Supported subtitle file types: SRT, SUB, ASS, SMI, etc.
- TV friendly
- Dedicated “leanback” user interface for Android TV
- AC3/DTS passthrough (HDMI or S/PDIF) on supported hardware: Nexus Player, NVidia SHIELD TV, Rockchip and AmLogic based tv-boxes
- 3D support with side-by-side and top-bottom playback modes for 3D TVs
- Audio Boost to increase the audio level of poorly encoded files
- Night Mode to dynamically adjust the audio level
- Browse the way you like
- Instant access to recently added and recently played videos
- Browse movies by name, genre, year, duration, rating
- Browse TV shows by seasons
- Folder browsing supported, if you prefer it old-school style 😉
- And even more!
- Share and keep track of what you have watched using Trakt scrobbler (see http://trakt.tv/)
- Multi-device network video resume
- Use descriptions and posters from NFO files when available
- Scheduled rescan of your network content (Leanback UI only)
- Private mode: temporarily disable playback history recording
- Manually adjust subtitles synchronization
- Manually adjust audio/video synchronization
And yes, you read it right: a free and open-source edition of ARCHOS video player is now available on github: https://github.com/archos-sa/aos-AVP
Since parts of ARCHOS video player relies on contributions from the open source community, the idea of opening up the code base to a broader developer community came naturally to us.
This way, we think that we can make ARCHOS video player and technology available to a larger and stronger user base and benefit from new contributions, ideas and innovations that will bring up new usages and customer experiences.
Please note that:
- the open-source community version is derived but relies on a different source code base from the Free and Premium versions that you can download on Google play;
- the current Free https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.archos.mediacenter.videofree and Premium https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.archos.mediacenter.video versions of ARCHOS video player will remain available on Google play to our current customer base and will be kept updated with new features.
ARCHOS video player community edition is totally free and open-source, available under the Apache 2.0 license for the parts not relying on external open-source projects that have their own licensing conditions.
ARCHOS software team